Sell with Confidence
Read More

Urgent Repairs and Emergency Contact Numbers

As a Renter you are required to report any urgent repairs immediately.

If urgent repairs are needed the renter should first take reasonable steps to arrange for the Rental Provider or Agent to fix the problem.

What To Do About An Urgent Repair?

In accordance with the legislation, if an urgent repair should occur whilst our office is closed, please contact one of our preferred trades people:

Emergency Trades List:

Handyman / Builder
Nick Madden (NTM Maintenance) – Tel: 0417 138 903
Bendigo Property Maintenance – Tel: 0419 272 700

Ecotech – Tel: 0400 066 932 / 0423 692 776

Plumbing or Gas
Greg Hicks – Tel: 0448 701 138
Bendigo Plumbing & Gas – Tel: 03 5439 3660 / 0400 161 555
Central Vic Heating & Cooling: – Tel: 0481 244 070

Flood Damage
Bendigo Property Maintenance – Tel: 0419 272 700

What Is An Urgent Repair?

The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 distinguishes between urgent and non-urgent repairs.

Burst water service
Blocked or broken toilet system
Serious roof leak
Gas leak
Dangerous electrical fault
Flooding or serious flood damage
Serious storm or fire damage
Failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by a landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering
Failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity, or water supply
A cooling appliance or service provided by the rental provider is not working
The property does not meet minimum standards
A safety-related device, such as a smoke alarm of pool fence, is not working
Any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
An appliance, fitting, or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted
Any fault or damage in the property that makes it unsafe or insecure, including pests, mould or damp caused by or related to the building structure
A serious fault in a lift or staircase (contact the body corporate as displayed at your property)

*Should you call a trades person for a non-urgent repair you, the Renter, may be liable to settle any costs.*